Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  New Innovation Space

Posted 09-09-2021 08:28 PM
    Hello Everyone!
    My name is Shannon and I'm in an Innovation Integrator position at a private school in Baltimore.  I, primarily, work on the girls' side of our campus. We are in the quiet stages of planning a brand new innovation space and I would love to get your input!  If you could dream of the perfect innovation space at a school, would would it look like? What kind of space would you want to bring more girls into STEM and programming careers?  Dream big!  Pretend their are no budget concerns!  What would your innovation space include or look like? 
    Thanks so much. I hope you are all well! 
    Best, 
    Shannon Cheston

#SustainingInnovationandLookingAhead
    #TeachingandLearning

• 2.  RE: New Innovation Space

Posted 09-10-2021 11:18 AM
    Hey Shannon,
    We have redesigned a lot of our All Saints campus over the last 5 years. Here are some links with ideas:

You can take a virtual tour (360 so you can watch on a VR headset or scroll around on your computer) of some of our spaces here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa_wPM9gWIg

https://www.all-saints.org/academics/center-for-innovation (highlights our Idea Lab, Fab Lab, Entrepreneurial Cafe, Design Studio, Digi Studio, VR Room, MS STEM Zone)

https://www.all-saints.org/academics/lower-school Scroll down below Amy's message to see links to our Learning Farm, Learning Villages, Oasis, Explorium and Collaboratory)

Hopefully this will give you some ideas. You can reach out to me jkern@all-saints.org if you have follow up questions as well.

Thanks
    Jason

------------------------------
    Jason Kern
    All Saints Episcopal School - Tyler, Tx

• 3.  RE: New Innovation Space

Posted 09-23-2021 11:40 AM
    Hi Jason, 
    Thank you so much for sharing all these resources.  It was wonderful seeing such innovative spaces!  We are in the quiet stages of a capital campaign - hoping to launch it in 2022 for the new space.  As we get closer to the design of the building, does All Saints ever host visitors to see their school and Center of Innovation?
    Best, 
    Shannon

• 4.  RE: New Innovation Space

Posted 09-23-2021 11:56 AM
    Absolutely we have hosted quite a few schools to show what our students are doing. Please reach out to me when you are interested in making a trip.

--
    Jason Kern
    Assistant Head of School for Innovation and Learning

2695 S SW Loop 323 | Tyler, Texas 75701 | www.all-saints.org

• 5.  RE: New Innovation Space

Posted 09-10-2021 12:52 PM
      |   view attached

Hi Shannon,
    That is exciting that you are planning an innovation space! We opened our Innovation Space in 2019.
    The equipment we currently have are: 
    Three Lulzbot Mini 2 3D printers
    Glowforge laser cutter
    Makey Makey STEM kits
    Oculus Quest VR Headsets
    CoSpacesEDU student licenses for student-generated AR and VR.
    MERGECubes for AR (and the MERGECube add-on for CoSpaces)
    Hummingbird Robotics kits
    micro:bits
    Wonder Workshop Dot & Dash robots
    Portable green screen
    DoInk iPad app for green screen video production and animation
    sewing machine
    cricut
    various hand and power tools
    lots of consumable Makerspace materials for building and prototyping (can you ever have too much cardboard?) :)

I presented at ISTE20 Live last year with two of my colleagues (Aaron Griffin and Barri Gertz) about our development of the innovation space, our tools, and how we have built excitement for the space with special challenges, office hours, and classroom integration. I've included one of our presentations. Feel free to look through it and contact us with any questions. We are happy to share!

Emily.heflin@epsteinatlanta.org

Barri.gertz@epsteinatlanta.org

Aaron.griffin@epsteinatlanta.org

Emily Heflin
    21st Century Learning Coach
    The Epstein School

Attachment(s)

• 6.  RE: New Innovation Space

Posted 09-23-2021 11:55 AM

Hi Emily, 
    Thank you so much.  We are in the early discussion phase so gathering a lot of ideas and pie-in-the-sky hopes!  Thanks for sharing the presentation.  This is a very comprehensive list!  Do you mind if I touch back with you as we get closer to our building being built? 
    Thanks,

Shannon

• 7.  RE: New Innovation Space

Posted 09-24-2021 08:43 AM
    Shannon -

While the recommendations shared here already by Jason and Emily are great, I would like to know the answers to these eight questions that I shared in the following ISTE post to help shape the items that you will need within your innovation space -

https://www.iste.org/explore/ISTE-blog/8-questions-to-ask-before-creating-a-makerspace

What experience are you trying to create? - you've touched on this

What are the learning goals and outcomes you want to achieve in this space? - again, partially answered

Who will be leading/managing the space?

Will you provide students a set curriculum or will this be for more open ended projects?

What grade levels will access the space?

How will the students access the space?

How will other faculty learn how to get the most from the makerspace?

How are you planning on assessing the projects?

The answers to these programmatic questions will help drive the equipment and experiences you will want to fund.

Vinnie

Vinnie Vrotny
    Director of Technology
    The Kinkaid School
    vinnie.vrotny@kinkaid.org

• 8.  RE: New Innovation Space

Posted 09-24-2021 09:03 AM
    Great post Vinnie. As always I think the questions Vinnie poses here are great. Having a design process with your teachers, administrators and students is vitally important to successfully launching any new space. You can have the best space/tools but if you haven't built it to fit your school's learning goals and school culture you're spinning your wheels.--
    Jason Kern
    Assistant Head of School for Innovation and Learning

2695 S SW Loop 323 | Tyler, Texas 75701 | www.all-saints.org

• 9.  RE: New Innovation Space

Posted 09-27-2021 12:47 PM
    Shannon,

I'll also add this -- as we were conceptualizing our space, it was also helpful to keep of list of items we did not want to have.  For example, we wanted to be really mindful of dust (since we cannot partition our space) so most rotary woodworking tools were off of the table.  

And storage.  You can never have enough storage, especially for student projects!

Best,
    Michael

Michael Mitchell
    St. Luke's School