Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

ATLIS Ignited Meetup conversation - Maker and Innovation Spaces/Programs?

• 1.  ATLIS Ignited Meetup conversation - Maker and Innovation Spaces/Programs?

Posted 05-02-2022 08:34 AM
    Hi all,

Anyone at the conference this week interested in an ad hoc meetup to talk about Fab labs, Maker spaces, and Innovation Spaces/Programs?  There are some really exciting program offerings on the topic this week, and I'm leading conversations at my school about the next stage of evolution of our designLab. So whether you're starting a lab or a program, or have had one up & running for a while (like we have), I'd love to talk "shop" about where we see them going and evolving.

I was thinking maybe to grab a corner during one of the afternoon's break periods - feel free to email or text me (details in signature). Enjoy the conference!

Jim
    #SustainingInnovationandLookingAhead

------------------------------
    Jim Foley
    Assistant Head of School
    St. Luke's School
    foleyj@stlukesct.org
    203-979-5879

• 2.  RE: ATLIS Ignited Meetup conversation - Maker and Innovation Spaces/Programs?

Posted 05-03-2022 12:35 PM
    Hello Jim,

I'm not attending the conference but feel free to connect! Our current maker space is small but we will be opening a new building in 2023. I'd love to share and learn!

Jonathan Delgado
    University Prep

• 3.  RE: ATLIS Ignited Meetup conversation - Maker and Innovation Spaces/Programs?

Posted 05-05-2022 03:28 PM
    Missed this while I was at the ATLIS conference - but I'd be interested in joining a conversation on this!

Dan

Daniel C. McGee, M.A., M.Ed.
    Director of Technology & Library Services

dMcGee@LaurelSchool.org
    Direct: 216.455.3051

Laurel School
    One Lyman Circle
    Shaker Heights, OH 44122
    LaurelSchool.org

• 4.  RE: ATLIS Ignited Meetup conversation - Maker and Innovation Spaces/Programs?

Posted 05-06-2022 08:32 AM
    I also missed this while I was a the conference and would love to join the conversation as well!

Allison Griffin
    Digital Learning Catalyst
    Trinity Episcopal School

• 5.  RE: ATLIS Ignited Meetup conversation - Maker and Innovation Spaces/Programs?

Posted 05-06-2022 09:01 AM
    Hello! While we weren't at the conference, we recently held an ATLIS webinar that may help when thinking about solutions for makerspaces/innovation programs - "Develop PreK-4th Graders' Computational Thinking and STEAM Skills with Playful KIBO Robotics".

During this webinar, Dan Riles, Innovation Coach from The Meadowbrook School, and Kim Walker, Director of Technology Integration and Innovation from The Agnes Irwin School, shared their experiences using creative STEAM robotics in varied environments – in classrooms, enrichment classes, makerspaces, and after school programs. They delve into the ease-of-use and the creative ways the screen-free KIBO robot can support age-appropriate, playful learning, computational thinking, STEAM skills, cooperation, collaboration, and more.

Both Dan (driles@meadowbrook-ma.org) and Kim (kwalker@agnesirwin.org) are willing to help answer any questions or discuss ideas and solutions they are using in their schools with their young learners should you want to outreach to them.

Thanks!
    Christina Nawn
    Director of Marketing
    KinderLab Robotics
    christina@kinderlabrobotics.com

Christina Nawn

• 6.  RE: ATLIS Ignited Meetup conversation - Maker and Innovation Spaces/Programs?

Posted 05-08-2022 03:38 PM
    Edited by Jim Foley 05-08-2022 03:40 PM
    We settled on a time - this coming Friday May 13th at 1pm EST. Invite is below - Happy Mother's Day!
    Jim
    https://stlukesct.zoom.us/j/85872468031

Jim Foley
    Assistant Head of School
    St. Luke's School

• 7.  RE: ATLIS Ignited Meetup conversation - Maker and Innovation Spaces/Programs?

Posted 05-09-2022 12:08 PM
    Thanks for the resource, Christina. 
    I will take a look this week before the meetup.

Question for all: How far do you think your schools are from the original intent of maker spaces (at least that's what I remember) ie. spontaneous, learner-centered, learner-driven etc.?

Jennifer Lamkins, Ed.D.
    Coordinator of Member and Technology Support Services
    she/her
    Northwest Association of Independent Schools
    5001 California Ave. SW (Ste. 112), Seattle, WA 98136
    Office: 206-323-6137
    Direct: 206-323-7005
    jlamkins@nwais.org

• 8.  RE: ATLIS Ignited Meetup conversation - Maker and Innovation Spaces/Programs?

Posted 05-09-2022 03:57 PM
    @Jim Foley thanks for setting the meet-up...up! Looking forward to it.

@Jennifer Lamkins this is such an important question. We had to put the breaks on much of our makerspaces initiatives at the beginning of the pandemic through last school year. We have 2-year-olds through 12th grade, and it definitely matters what age group is there. The 9-12 graders are coming back to be more spontaneous, and the younger ones are taking well to guided, open-ended work.​​​

Dan

Daniel C. McGee, M.A., M.Ed.
    Director of Technology & Library Services

dMcGee@LaurelSchool.org
    Direct: 216.455.3051

Laurel School
    One Lyman Circle
    Shaker Heights, OH 44122
    LaurelSchool.org

• 9.  RE: ATLIS Ignited Meetup conversation - Maker and Innovation Spaces/Programs?

Posted 05-10-2022 08:41 AM
    Will the session be recorded for those who would like to hear the conversation, but may be teaching or have other obligations?

Vinnie Vrotny
    Director of Technology
    The Kinkaid School
    vinnie.vrotny@kinkaid.org

• 10.  RE: ATLIS Ignited Meetup conversation - Maker and Innovation Spaces/Programs?

Posted 05-19-2022 02:52 PM
    Hi everyone,
    Sorry for the delay, since I was traveling earlier this week, but I have here the notes to share from last Friday's discussion, as well as the video recording for anyone who might be interested. Thanks to everyone who attended, and who posted here in the thread... let's keep the discussion going!
    Jim

Jim Foley
    Assistant Head of School
    St. Luke's School