Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  StudentPrivacyPledge.org

Posted 04-19-2022 07:44 AM
    Over the years, we have referenced the Student Privacy Pledge (https://studentprivacypledge.org/). We would typically look at their list of signatories before signing up for any new subscriptions. Additionally, we would keep an eye on our current vendors to see if they maintained themselves as signatories to that list. Based on my review of their website, the pledge has not been updated since 2020. Does anyone know what is going on with their website? Are there alternative options available that would provide some guidance on student data?
    #CybersafetyandDataSecurity

------------------------------
    Barry Kallmeyer
    Chief Information Officer
    Hathaway Brown School

• 2.  RE: StudentPrivacyPledge.org

Posted 04-20-2022 10:23 AM
    I believe the Student privacy pledge is now a part of the student privacy compass https://studentprivacycompass.org/audiences/ed-tech/
    Also I have requested a number of our vendors who had not signed the pledge to sign it. All but one did, we ended our relationship with that company.

Hayley Gunther
    Educational Technologist
    Academy of the New Church Secondary Schools

• 3.  RE: StudentPrivacyPledge.org

Posted 04-20-2022 10:31 AM
    Hayley,

Thanks for sharing the link to Student Privacy Compass. I do see they have a link for vendors to click on (companies can apply to join the Pledge here.) that goes back to the original Student Privacy Pledge website. I wish they would update it from 2020, however.

Barry Kallmeyer
    Hathaway Brown School

• 4.  RE: StudentPrivacyPledge.org

Posted 04-25-2022 03:16 PM
    Would you be open to sharing what vendor did not sign?

Nicholas Marchese
    Director of Academic Technology
    Emma Willard School

• 5.  RE: StudentPrivacyPledge.org

Posted 04-22-2022 07:51 AM
    Edited by James Cudzilo 04-22-2022 07:51 AM
    We are just starting to use EdPrivacy by Education Framework (https://educationframework.com/). It scores different vendors and provides an interface for parents to view all approved platforms (here's a link to our growing list: MCDS - Approved Technology List) - It also will let you know exactly what data is being recorded for users. You can allow faculty to review the list of approved services, so they know which platforms they can readily use, and they can also request new services if, and when, they learn about new ones. They offer SSO via Google and Microsoft.

This service is a paid service based on your enrollment at the school. They are very responsive to requests to review services and apps not already in their system. And they even provide a tool to request clarification from low-scoring services.

Jimmy Cudzilo
    Miami Country Day School