Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Comparing Blackbaud and Veracross - Have You Used Both?

• 1.  Comparing Blackbaud and Veracross - Have You Used Both?

Posted 11-18-2021 08:54 AM
    Edited by Jim Huffaker 11-19-2021 08:50 AM
    Hi All,

Hi,

Our school, Charlotte Latin, is looking at replacing our SIS (Senior Systems) and we are currently evaluating Veracross and Blackbaud. Both systems are robust, but we'd love to get feedback or to talk to folks who have used BOTH Blackbaud and Veracross. Ideally, you'd have experience working in both systems sometime recently (within the last 5 years). Would you be willing to submit the feedback form below, or alternatively, please shoot me your thoughts at jim.huffaker@charlottelatin.org.

Here's the link to the survey, we'd love your feedback. LINK TO SURVEY

Thanks for your help,

Jim Huffaker
    Chief Technology Officer

Louise Hindal
    Database Systems Manager

#General
    #ITSystemsandSupport
    #CybersafetyandDataSecurity

------------------------------
    Jim Huffaker
    Chief Technology Officer
    Charlotte Latin School

• 2.  RE: Comparing Blackbaud and Veracross - Have You Used Both?

Posted 11-19-2021 06:32 AM
    Hello Jim,

We had used Blackbaud at least since 1994 when I started with Webb School and we have recently, just this last year, converted everything to Veracross, and have beed using that for Development, Admissions, Business Office, Academics, Tuition Payment, etc. since the start of the school year. While my time using Veracross is relatively limited at this point, I do feel that I have a pretty good understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of each, and how they compare.  I can say that overall, I am very happy with the decision to switch.  

I tried to follow your survey link, but it did not work for my, but I am happy to help with your evaluation of the two systems in any way I can.  Please let me know how I can be of assistance and I am happy to help.

James Manikas
    Director of Technology
    Webb School of Knoxville

• 3.  RE: Comparing Blackbaud and Veracross - Have You Used Both?

Posted 11-19-2021 08:15 AM
    Hello Jim,
    We are in the middle of our Veracross implementation and for the most part moving along well.  We have had some issues with the implementation of the Development module and was wondering if you be willing to chat about how your experience of that implementation went.  Veracross has instituted a new "self-service" style implementation process for that module, which is VERY different than all their other modules.   This was not communicated to us ahead of time and has cause a lot of confusion.   While I believe the software is fine, just getting our team up and running with their process has been a struggle.  Let me know if you'd be willing to chat more.

Thank you in advance.

Kevin Doherty

Database Manager

Academy of Notre Dame de Namur

Villanova, PA 19085

610.687.0650, ext. 278

kdoherty@ndapa.org

Kevin Doherty
    Enterprise Database and Applications Manager
    kdoherty@ndapa.org

• 4.  RE: Comparing Blackbaud and Veracross - Have You Used Both?

Posted 11-29-2021 08:39 AM
    Kevin,

Thank you for the feedback.  We are looking at everything else that is Veracross less their LMS and Development modules. Our Development Dept. just moved this past summer to Blackbaud's Raisers Edge.  So we will not be moving them again anytime soon :D. Happy to chat if you wish.

-Jim

Jim Huffaker
    Chief Technology Officer
    Charlotte Latin School

• 5.  RE: Comparing Blackbaud and Veracross - Have You Used Both?

Posted 11-19-2021 08:53 AM
    James,

Thank you for the feedback.  I have fixed the survey link.  Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

-Jim

Jim Huffaker
    Chief Technology Officer
    Charlotte Latin School

• 6.  RE: Comparing Blackbaud and Veracross - Have You Used Both?

Posted 11-19-2021 08:04 AM
    Hi Jim,
    We were with Senior Systems and have switched to Veracross.  We are about 3/4 of they way through our implementation.  For the most part, most of our experiences have been positive, with the exception of the new "self-service" implementation in the development module, which has been a sore spot.    During our evolution we had many of our staff evaluated both Blackbaud and Veracross.  The collective decision was to go with Veracross.  I would be happy to discuss further if anyone is interested. 

I also tried the survey link, but it does not work.

Kevin Doherty

Database Manager

Villanova, PA 19085

610.687.0650, ext. 278

kdoherty@ndapa.org

Kevin Doherty
    Enterprise Database and Applications Manager

• 7.  RE: Comparing Blackbaud and Veracross - Have You Used Both?

Posted 11-19-2021 06:16 PM
    Hi Jim,

We also went down the Bb versus Veracross road (from Senior Systems) about 2 years ago, but got sidetracked due to COVID/remote learning initiatives. We were very close to moving forward with Veracross and are still thinking about going this route in the future. Would love to get the results from the survey if you're willing to share them!

@ James - One sticky point for us was the business module. Since you're going all-in, I'd love to hear more about how that transition is going. What did your business office use before Veracross?

Also, thank you @ Kevin for giving us a heads up about the "self-service" style implementation for development. ​I'll definitely look into this further as well. ​​

Liz Beck
    Director of Technology
    Laurence School

• 8.  RE: Comparing Blackbaud and Veracross - Have You Used Both?

Posted 11-29-2021 08:46 AM
    Hi Liz,

We are still in the evaluation process and hope to have a decision prior to winter break, Dec. 17th.  Our business office is currently using Senior Systems. Since the business office is a major user with the SIS we trying to be as thorough as we possibly can for them. They to are a sticking point for us also but I sense from them that anything will be an improvement.  I will be happy to share the results from the survey.

-Jim

Jim Huffaker
    Chief Technology Officer
    Charlotte Latin School

• 9.  RE: Comparing Blackbaud and Veracross - Have You Used Both?

Posted 11-20-2021 11:15 AM
    Edited by Louis Tullo 11-20-2021 11:15 AM

Jim,

I just completed your survey and am happy to speak further about this. At my previous school, we had invested in Blackbaud across the board aside from the LMS piece. The same is true for Veracross at Ravenscroft. The LMS I've administered in both schools was Canvas, and I believe it to be miles ahead of any offerings from a provider that primarily provides SIS.

Cheers,
    Louis

Louis Tullo
    Chief Technology Officer
    Ravenscroft School

• 10.  RE: Comparing Blackbaud and Veracross - Have You Used Both?

Posted 11-20-2021 05:09 PM
    Hi All, 
    We are moving our admissions team off of Senior Systems just for the admissions tools available through School Admin, and overall disappointment with Senior Systems. Our business office is shared with two other entities so and they have been using Blackbaud for close to 15 years. I have been intrigued by both Veracross and Blackbaud as a replacement for our SIS so I am interested to hear what others have to say
    Hayley Gunther
    Academy of the New Church
    www.ancss.org
    Bryn Athyn PA

Hayley Gunther
    Educational Technologist
    Academy of the New Church Secondary Schools

• 11.  RE: Comparing Blackbaud and Veracross - Have You Used Both?

Posted 11-22-2021 06:25 PM
    Hi Jim,
    I filled out the survey - we migrated from Blackbaud to Veracross about 4 years ago. Blackbaud ended their support for schools (at least schools outside the US) when they purchased Whipple Hill and moved users from Education Edge to OnCampus. I really think as a company Blackbaud is focused so much on non-profit fundraising and development that their school products suffered. I'm really happy with Veracross!
    All the best,

Warren Apel

• 12.  RE: Comparing Blackbaud and Veracross - Have You Used Both?

Posted 11-23-2021 05:19 PM
    Hi Jim,

I am currently evaluating Blackbaud as well (currently we are using RenWeb/FACTS). I'd love to see the feedback you receive in this survey. 

Thanks!

Jonathan Hansen
    Abiqua Academy