Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Oculus with 5th graders

Posted 04-04-2022 04:33 PM
    Quick question does your school use the Oculus and if yes, do you use it with students as young as 5th grade?  How are you viewing/handling the 13 and older requirement for a piece of hardware?  I suspect this might be a cover your tail in the TOS but was interested in what other schools might be doing
    From a software perspective, the Wonders of the World is fabulous and worthy of being part of the curriculum. And, with limited and supervised use I see this as a fine addition for 5th graders especially if the device is used with a teacher account only which allows the school to serve as agent for parents.
    Thoughts?
    Hiram

Director of Information Systems and Academic Technology
    St Christopher's School
    711 St. Christopher's Road
    Richmond, VA 23226

#TeachingandLearning
    #CybersafetyandDataSecurity

------------------------------
    Hiram Cuevas
    Director of Academic Technology
    St. Christopher's School

• 2.  RE: Oculus with 5th graders

Posted 04-11-2022 09:08 AM
    Hiram, I am not the one using these with students on a daily basis, but we have them at our Middle School and our coordinator manages them. 

I share this with her and this was her response...

• I only use the VR Goggles for grades 6-8. Research shows that VR goggles have a significant effect on children under 12: headache, eye strain, nausea.
    • I vet all apps myself and only choose apps approved for all ages.
    • I only allow students to use the Goggles for 5 minutes or less. I've found that any more than 5 minutes and students get nauseous.

William Stites
    Director of Technology
    Montclair Kimberley Academy