Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Self-Paced PD

Posted 09-10-2021 02:14 PM
    Hi All,
    I have lost count of the number of times that I have organized a PD session only to end up with low sign-up numbers, last minute cancellations, and more than a few no-shows. Even when in a session, I often feel that I am trying to pack too much information into too little time. This is especially true when it comes to onboarding new faculty each fall.

In an effort to avoid the informational overload, and acknowledging that our teachers all have their own best ways of learning, we have been putting more effort into creating self-paced online resources, and just-in-time style training sessions throughout the year. In particular, we have started using Thinglink as a way of guiding faculty through complex systems in more manageable chunks. This link will take you to one of our examples (though the videos will likely not play for you as they are stored in our community Microsoft Stream).

I'm curious about others thoughts on this, and have a few specific areas that I would love to get more input/ideas on.
       - How effective of a tool is this for most faculty?
           - Are there better/more appropriate ones available?
       - Are their any DEI opportunities that we might be missing here?
           - Particularly thinking of the equity and easy of access angle
       - Any thoughts on methods for accountability?
    #TeachingandLearning
    #DEI

------------------------------
    Jeremy Rahn
    Technology Integrationist
    Cranbrook Schools

• 2.  RE: Self-Paced PD

Posted 09-13-2021 09:45 AM
    Hi Jeremy,

Thinglink is an interesting option for this that I haven't seen before.  For on-boarding primarily concerned with initial device setup and getting started for faculty and students, we started using video lessons presented through Edpuzzle and organized in a Google Sites page. Folks are given a one page handout with their new device that has account information and a QR code that leads them to the appropriate Google Sites page. Here's our page for new faculty.  I do like how your Thinglink approach breaks down a workflow into smaller parts with distinct text and video artifacts supporting each part.  We started this last summer when we needed to switch to contactless device deployment and stuck with it for this year (even though we are in-person again). One downside to our videos that your Thinglink approach might address (depending on what you have in your videos, which I can't see) is that I found multiple places where interface changes required reediting videos and that's time intensive.  One advantage of using Edpuzzle for us over hosting the video somewhere else, is that I can add a text note popup easily without editing the video so that addressed some interface changes adequately.

As for your question about accountability, I believe that requires work outside of the Technology department from those that hold staff or students accountable for non-technology things. However, we have found that using Edpuzzle at least gives us the data with can share with those folks outside of IT if they want to get involved with that.  For most of our videos, folks need to log in to Edpuzzle (using SSO so no new account). As a result, we get a list of their answers to embedded questions we've added to check for understanding, and you can also see how much of a video was watched (or if portions were watched multiple times).  While IT isn't in a position to hold folks accountable for watching or not, when I get questions from people (usually over email) about things for which we already provided a tutorial, I can at least look and see if they watched the video ad/or answered the related embedded questions.  That gives me a better understanding of if I should gently urge them to watch the video, and if they have, provides me feedback on what we might need to improve in our tutorials.

Bill Campbell
    Dwight-Englewood School

• 3.  RE: Self-Paced PD

Posted 09-13-2021 03:27 PM
    Edited by Stacey Roshan 09-13-2021 03:29 PM

Thanks for getting this conversation started, @Jeremy Rahn, and for sharing the Thinglink you've created. I think there is a lot of power in providing self-paced PD modules for teachers. They can thoughtfully engage in the PD they need, when they need it, at a pace that's optimal for them. I had a lot of success with self-paced PD modules last school year. That was obviously due to a huge need. To keep that momentum going, I think the idea of self-paced growth and continuous learning needs to be embedded into the school culture (ie: recognized, time to pursue, etc).

Like @Bill Campbell has mentioned (and thank you, Bill, for sharing your new faculty page!), I like using Edpuzzle to share videos so that I can embed notes, learning checks, etc. It provides a 2-way communication channel within the video (I can leave space for viewers to ask a question, summarize their takeaways, etc). This gives me so much insight into follow-up work that needs to be done.

I also really like creating student-paced Pear Deck activities that teachers can interact with. Here is an example of one I created to onboard teachers with Kami: https://app.peardeck.com/student/tosmuuonn

I'd love to hear what other schools are doing and how this idea is embedded into school-wide professional growth/development initiatives.​

Stacey Roshan

Director of Innovation & Educational Technology
    Bullis School
    @buddyxo
    Tech with Heart

• 4.  RE: Self-Paced PD

Posted 10-14-2021 03:00 PM
    Hey everyone, 

In November, we are going to unveil our PD BINGO. Unlike traditional BINGO, faculty will have the opportunity to do any 5 - they do not have to be in a row. The center square, instead of being a Free Space, will be a Choose Your Own Learning space. We have suggestions that range from blog posts, SEL webinars, or specialized online classes that teachers have to complete for recertification. At the same time, we are also rolling out some courses in Canvas that we are building in-house that deal specifically with EdTech tools that our faculty uses. Our BINGO boards will be published on our technology website, where we keep all the things. All of the linked information will be housed in a PD course in Canvas. In true BINGO form, every 5 squares will get you a prize and an entry into a grand prize raffle. If you finish all 25 squares, you get an extra entry into the grand prize raffle and a gift card to our school store. 

The self-paced, choose your own adventure style PD is a direct result of feedback from teachers in all three of our divisions, and the associate directors of curriculum/instruction signed off on it with excitement. Sending good vibes that it goes well. We are rolling it out with candy LOL!

In addition, in October, we started our version of "potty PD," though we are using the high-traffic workrooms and mailrooms instead of restrooms. By hanging a fun QR sign in those popular areas, interested people can scan it to be taken to a Google slide deck with themed resources. While it isn't PD per se, the intention is to share resources in and out of the classroom. October's theme is based on the National Day/Month of ideas for October so we have anything from cyberbullying to recipes to virtual field trips. 

We are trying to keep it light and fun while still making some learning happen. Fingers crossed!

Jennifer Hencken
    Lake Highland Preparatory School

• 5.  RE: Self-Paced PD

Posted 10-19-2021 03:54 PM
    Excellent ideas, everyone! I learned a new way to use Canva yesterday that could be used to access resources or PD asynchronously. You can create a calendar or any graphic in Canva. Highlight your text, then click the "..." to get more options. You can create live links! 
    canva

So after you have created hyperlinked text, you can share it a few ways. I have always downloaded the file, but if you click on the ellipses in the upper right-hand corner to get a live webpage hosted on Canva. If you scroll down in that section (this is my favorite part- get ready!), you have the option to grab the EMBED CODE so you could add the code to other sites!  I love this and I didn't know it existed until yesterday. 
    canva2
    This kind of blew my mind. Hopefully, it will be useful to some of you as well!

Dr. Ashley Cross
    Director of Membership +
    Access Points Community Manager
    www.theatlis.org
    888-502-8547

• 6.  RE: Self-Paced PD

Posted 01-27-2022 04:41 PM
    Hi All,

I'm interested in the DEI thread on this page. What are some creative ways you have addressed PD in this area? It seems to me that PD is struggling to find itself after COVID in general. As we add more and more topics to the PD menus at schools, how do we encourage people to towards the sessions they really need? For DEI, for examples. How do we make safe and engaging spaces to move the needle forward?

Susan Davis
    ATLIS

• 7.  RE: Self-Paced PD

Posted 02-07-2022 11:32 AM
    We have done a "9 Point Challenge" the last two summers where teachers can choose from different categories to amass 9 points and receive a $100 incentive. It is a voluntary program but about half of our faculty has earned the incentive over the last two summers. Here is a link to the Google Doc with the Categories and point totals https://docs.google.com/document/d/1P5Y1KkVbfszOd8qokw635QQpqOTbyjK4DRvNwbzLAY8/edit?usp=sharing

We also keep a Resource Board in Blackbaud that contains links to tutorials on things like Google, myALLSAINTS (Blackbaud on Campus), Video Conferencing, Screen Recording and other website tutorials. This was created during the beginning of Covid and continues to serve as a resource especially for new faculty.

Thanks
    Jason

Jason Kern
    Assistant Head of School for Innovation and Learning Officer
    All Saints Episcopal School - Tyler, Tx