Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  COPPA compiance

Posted 01-31-2022 09:23 AM
    Hi everyone,
    We are starting to put some intentional thought into the Children's Online Privacy and Protection (COPPA) rule and how it applies to the apps and sites that we use in the lower grades. It appears there are a lot of gray areas when thinking about this from a school perspective. Does anyone have any thoughts or policies with respect to COPPA they would be willing to share?
    Thanks!
    Jennifer Frim
    Assistant Director
    The Wellington School
    wellington.org
    #CybersafetyandDataSecurity

------------------------------
    Jennifer Frim

• 2.  RE: COPPA compiance

Posted 02-01-2022 09:29 PM
      |   view attached
    At MKA, this is something that we had had in place for over ten years when I was questioned about COPPA by @Hiram Cuevas at the Lausanne Laptop Institute and our use of Evernote.

This post is old but still speaks to many issues that schools are dealing with - https://www.williamstites.net/2012/05/22/coppa-and-verifiable-parental-consent/.  We have since included language relating to COPPA into our enrollment and re-enrollment materials to accommodate the parental consent requirement.  We use our website - http://www.mka.org/techtools - to help answer questions and provide the parental notification.  We have developed a tool to evaluate any resource used in the classroom with students for COPPA, privacy, and security compliance - pdf linked below.

Lastly, at the last ATLIS conferences (I think it was the last), I presented with @Adam Griffin on the legal issues faced by schools, including COPPA.  The name of the presentation was "So I'm not an attorney... but I brought one with me to the conference."

I'd be happy to include more here or talk if you'd like.​

William Stites
    Director of Technology
    Montclair Kimberley Academy

• 3.  RE: COPPA compiance

Posted 02-07-2022 02:00 PM
    Thank you so much. This is very helpful!

Jennifer Frim

• 4.  RE: COPPA compiance

Posted 02-02-2022 02:35 PM
    Hi Jennifer.
    I concur with William and would add that in my last three director positions, the tech department verified COPPA compliance prior to allowing faculty to use. It can get rather wild west if faculty left to their own judgment. We also posted a public OneNote page with a list of approved applications and communicated to faculty they should check this first against the software/cloud application they wanted to use. We erred on the side of in loco parentis when the terms were a bit mushy but no student data was to be used, and/or we had control over access as the account holder.
    I hope this is helpful.

Jennifer Lamkins, Ed.D.
    Coordinator of Member and Technology Support Services
    she/her
    Northwest Association of Independent Schools
    5001 California Ave. SW (Ste. 112), Seattle, WA 98136
    Office: 206-323-6137
    Direct: 206-323-7005
    jlamkins@nwais.org