Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  YouTube Restrictions settings in Google Workspace

Posted 02-18-2022 09:02 AM

(please excuse ross posting if you are an INDEX school)
    Hello colleagues. 

I'm sure topic has been discussed here before, however I wanted to see if you could update me on what your practices are. For those that are Google workspace schools, What content restrictions, if any, do you have set on YouTube? My feeling is that we need to have everyone in the moderately restricted in grades seven through 12 for example. And below that in the strict group.   I’m obviously receiving some pushback on this from some of our teachers who are concerned that students won’t be able to properly access videos when doing work for their classes. I know that is easy for a teacher to approve the video, but the argument is they will have so many to approve and it isn’t logistically feasible. 

Thanks for your insight!

Stewart 

#General

------------------------------
    Stewart Crais
    Chief Information Officer
    Mary Institute and Saint Louis Country Day School

• 2.  RE: YouTube Restrictions settings in Google Workspace

Posted 02-22-2022 05:54 PM
    Hello Stewart,

I lean on the side of strict restrictions in order to insure CIPA compliance. I had similar pushback from a few teachers, but most of this can be solved by explaining the intention behind it (protecting our students online and CIPA compliance). Also, if there is a very brief training with these teachers showing how easy it is to approve a video, that often alleviates issues as well. Even if we say it will be "easy", they don't necessarily believe it until they see the approval process. 
    In my opinion, teachers should be vetting videos before showing it to their class beforehand. So, if a teacher is saying the (literal) 15 seconds tops to click approve is not logistically feasible, they are probably not even skimming through the video before showing it in class...

Cheers,

Jonathan Hansen
    Abiqua Academy