Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Digital Transcript and Records Request from Parents

Posted 02-07-2022 05:59 PM
    Hi all,
    How many of you have online Student Requests for Parents?  If so, do you do via a online form via your website, SIS, other?  When you receive how do you verify that it is a legitimate request (phone call verification)?  What methods of delivery do you allow: pickup, email, fax?)  We currently use FinalSite to host our website which has a forms option.  Making sure we are staying secure and private.  Thanks for any additional suggestions.

#studentrecords #Onlineforms #securedata

Donna Muller
    Director of Educational Technology and Data Management​​​
    #General

------------------------------
    Donna Muller

• 2.  RE: Digital Transcript and Records Request from Parents

Posted 03-21-2022 11:04 AM

Donna, 

This is a really important topic to be discussing. I think that in the independent school world, there is a general understanding that the communities are usually small enough that we just "know" what is legitimate and what is not. In practice, that's a terrible mindset to have. We don't have a verification process in place for transcript requests, but we have also run into a similar situation when alums request access to our alum portal. As we started thinking through what options we could do, a phone verification and referencing the information we have on file seemed like the only thing we'd be able to do consistently. As for transcripts, I would think that a physical pick up or the school mailing to an institution would be the only options for an "official" transcript.

Matt

Matthew Norko
    Director of Technology
    Foxcroft School

• 3.  RE: Digital Transcript and Records Request from Parents

Posted 03-21-2022 12:43 PM
    Hi folks,

I would suggest you begin to consider verifiable credentials that are complete authenticated, trusted and unalterable in the hands of the holder. Let me share an example for issuing a transcript.  When you prepare a student transcript for a graduate you can likely create a PDF of the transcript from your SIS system. When you issue a verifiable credential to the student, you can embed the pdf into the credentials, as well as any other portfolio items and then issue this to the student. They then have a secure 'original' transcript' where the holder can then control and manage in their own web wallet, share QR code, or via email to a person who requires it. There is no need to get back to the school and request a transcript each time they need one and saves about 80% of the cost and time for school to prepare each time, and they have the credential for the rest of their lives for their career. This is the direction education is heading to support identity. Happy to share more if interested.

Vincent Jansen
    Convergence.Tech

• 4.  RE: Digital Transcript and Records Request from Parents

Posted 03-22-2022 01:07 PM
    I am curious what platform or signing service is creating this credential? How would the recipient store the credential? Where would the PDF live? Is it on a server that the school maintains or some third party? I worry that after 5 years all these platforms would either decay or be refreshed and sufficiently old enough links would then cease to function. Maybe 5 years is long enough to maintain access to a HS transcript, but I would want to establish that time limit upfront.

Brian Hoyt
    French American School of Puget Sound

• 5.  RE: Digital Transcript and Records Request from Parents

Posted 03-23-2022 12:53 PM

Hi Brian,

The credential is being created on a Convergence.Tech Identity platform, issued by an issuing organization. If the issuing organization uses white labelling then CT does not appear anywhere and the platform branding is entirely the issuing organization. The credential is  cryptographically signed, since the platform uses a distributed layered technology (blockchain) for security, privacy and thus credential is unalterable once issued. Here is a screenshot for verification of a credential. (Image below).

The recipient stores the credential in their own web wallet, or on their phone.  The credential is a dynamic document and is formed in the browser, it is not hosted on any specific site or server. It can be printed to a pdf for archive purposes. The recipient will have access to the document forever, since it is not dependent on any specific server or issuing organization so if issuer stops using CT platform, the issued credentials can be accesses in future and even offline. Essentially there is no time limit, and student would keep their transcript embedded  as. a pdf in the credential as evidence of their learning success in this digital format, and there is no future need to contact the school to get a transcript. They then have complete control to share with any verifier( school, employer, family..) they wish. 

I hope this helps. I will be at ATLIS in case you are going, so happy to share more.

Vincent

Vincent Jansen
    Education Consultant
    Denra Consulting / Convergence.Tech
    vjansen07@gmail.com