Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Community Email Expectations & Guidance

Posted 11-01-2021 09:42 AM
    Hello all,

With many businesses since the pandemic, setting clear email expectations became increasingly important, especially in terms of "when are you expected to still be checking email" and for your wellness "when are you allowed to NOT check your email?" To that end, a few of us have adopted messages like this in our signatures - --My working hours and your working hours may be different. Please do not feel you need to reply outside your normal working hours.--

That being said, in a school, especially in a boarding school, there is differing views on when and how quickly email should be responded to. I'm wondering if anyone in this community (bonus if you are boarding) has set clear expectations and guidance for your faculty, staff, and student community regarding email use. I've seen some things like this in the past focusing on "how to use email," but right now I'm thinking more along the lines of "there is no expectation to send or reply to emails after 4pm and an understanding that anyone may take up to 24 hours to reply to an email." Something along those lines, but more eloquent. Thanks!
    #General
    #Leadership

------------------------------
    Nicholas Marchese
    Director of Academic Technology
    Emma Willard School

• 2.  RE: Community Email Expectations & Guidance

Posted 11-02-2021 09:09 AM

Nick, 

Having a clear policy around communication turnaround times and communicating that to the entire school community, especially families, is a key step that does a lot more than a disclaimer in someone's email signature, from my vantage point. In tandem with a communicated policy, members of the community need to consistently abide by it in solidarity with their peers if it's going to have a significant impact. The person who is an outlier becomes a case study for people to doubt whether you actually mean what you say.

I'm glad you're starting this discussion about culture work because it's hugely important!

Cheers,

Louis

Louis Tullo
    Chief Technology Officer
    Ravenscroft School

• 3.  RE: Community Email Expectations & Guidance

Posted 11-02-2021 10:59 AM
    Louis,

Thanks so much for sharing! I totally agree that this should be a more strategic communicated policy that everyone needs to buy-in on. Especially after coming out of peak pandemic times, it is more important than ever. Any chance Ravenscroft has anything in place?

Nicholas Marchese
    Director of Academic Technology
    Emma Willard School

• 4.  RE: Community Email Expectations & Guidance

Posted 11-02-2021 04:05 PM
    In our handbooks and orientation materials, we reference a 24-hour turnaround policy for emails as it pertains to faculty and students/families. We also intentionally direct all course-related communication to go through the Canvas Inbox rather than email, which is mostly the case but not exclusively. 

In addition, we're starting to put together video resources for employees demonstrating features like "Delayed Send" within Gmail.

Louis Tullo
    Chief Technology Officer
    Ravenscroft School